INSTALLATION GUIDE AND REQUIRED TOOLS
Updated January 2022
Please note this installation guide was developed as a reminder for installers and does not replace on job / in class training required to become a tile setter or fabricator. Please proceed with caution. Please follow all recommendations provide by manufacturers of substrates, fireplaces, thinset, adhesive, tools and other materials used during installation. If you have any questions please contact us at 1.800.936.0702.
TO VIEW OUR TRAINING VIDEO'S PLEASE CLICK HERE.
TOOLS + MATERIALS
FOR VERTICAL, COUNTERTOP OR CLADDING INSTALLATIONS:
1. For aluminum backed panels: Construction adhesive. For best results, rough up panel backing by lightly sanding and apply generously.
2. For translucent resin backed panels: Polyurethane structural adhesive or silicone. For best results, rough up panel backing by lightly sanding and apply generously. Roughing up acrylic or lexan will also help with adhesion. Full coverage may be required to reduce visibility of adhesive.
FOR FLOORING INSTALLATIONS:
3. (click to view pdf) and per Terrazzo Tile & Marble Association of Canada published guidelines (Herein referred to as TTMAC).
FOR MITRES AND SEAMS:
4. Knife grade epoxy and colour matching kit.
Please check with Prima Stone on suitability of other adhesives to suit job requirements.
SEALER + ANTI SLIP :
While we do not sell nor warranty the below products, you can request more information below. We recommend testing a small piece of material prior to application of anti slip or sealant. If you prefer to have a 3rd party marble restoration provide sealer or anti-slip please ask us!
For protection of countertop surfaces with a light film, please contact TUFF SKIN.
Many of Prima Stone's installers use Dry Treat Sealer (clink to link below).
For ANTI-SLIP treatment of marble floors (clink to link below):
Variable speed angle grinder with mesh diamond blade (please test before use)
Rail track saw (Festool TS 55 REQ plunge cut track saw with vacuum attachment OR similar) with Grand Quartz – 6” Cyclone Marble Blade or marble blade from Apollo Stone Art ( tel:604-279-8577 ).
Wet tile bridge saw with diamond blade.
Diamond coring bits (variable sizes, job specific for cutting around fixtures)
Dry polishing pads
8ft level and laser level
Sawhorse table or Centipede stand
Waterjet and CNC are also acceptable for cutting Prima Stone. Fabricators please request a sample to test cutting nuances with your specific equipment. For cutting with a bridge saw or CNC use marble blade.
OTHER TOOLS OR MATERIALS REQUIRED:
Spray bottle with water
Lifting clamps for transporting stone
Stone suction cups for handling
CARRYING + TRANSPORT INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Do not store stone panels outside. Prima Stone is tolerant to storage temperatures of 10-35 degrees celsius. Allow Prima Stone to acclimate to indoor room temperature for 4-6 hours after transporting in cooler temperatures (below 10 degrees Celsius).
2. Always carry Prima Stone vertical at a slight angle with stone side up. Wear gloves or use clamps. As the stone face of Prima Stone is heavier than the backing, Prima Stone must never be placed with the stone face down.
3. Stone should only be transported using an A-frame, enclosed flat pack crate or by our recommended third party delivery service. Please contact us to coordinate crating or delivery. When transporting panels in below zero temperatures, Prima Stone must be flat packed or moved on an A-Frame inside an enclosed trailer.
4. Greater care and attention should be taken when moving or transporting white marble and nero marquina. White marbles are the softest and sometimes natural weak points cause additional fissures in the stone. This is due to the geological composition of stone. It is suggested that installers make allowances in their installation price should extra polishing be required and always support centre of the panel when laying flat.
5. Prima Stone panels may bow slightly during transport. This is normal and panels will flatten out when pressure is applied using extension polls during installation. If there is any extreme bowing in translucent panels as a result of exposure to cold weather, please contact us prior to install.
Please test all tapes, suction cups, sealers, acetone and other topical treatments on stone prior to use. Please follow all adhesive manufactures recommendations for substrates, fireplaces, thin-set, adhesive, tools and other materials used during installation. Please note: Marble is a natural material and may contain fissures, cracks, pitts, fills or variation in colour or veining. These natural characteristics of stone are not considered defects and are not covered by Prima Stone's warranty.
Marble is soft material and can scratch or chip on corners or scuff during transportation or installation. You may be required to complete additional polishing, etc. after installation (especially at seems) and should ensure your client is aware that this may be a requirement if this is not included in your installation quote.
Per Prima Stone's estimating guide, it is best to allow material to be trimmed 1/2"-1" on all edges should there be any chipping to edges during storing, delivery or transport.
As Prima Stone's warranty does not extend to the work of installers please carefully inspect Prima Stone tile panel for deficiencies and review layout with client prior cutting or installation. Any deficiencies or required exchanges must be addressed with Prima Stone prior to installation.
For wall applications, using 5x8 panels , please use adhesives listed above in stacked applications. For Prima Stone cut to sizes smaller that 24"x24" please follow Ardex General recommendations as well as all TTMAC guidelines for installation of tile.
For flooring applications please follow (click to view pdf) as well as all TTMAC guidelines for installation of tile. .
1. Ensure the substrate is flat, level, and square (per Ardex General recommendations or TTMAC as applicable).
2. Remove all fixtures (electrical, plumbing etc.)
3. For installation on face of a gas fireplace:
(a) Ensure that the fireplace is vented to allow installation of combustible material on the face of the fireplace (click HERE for a further information on this).
(b) Stone is applied outside of the combustible zone of the fireplace.
(c) In almost all gas fireplace installations Prima Stone must be installed overtop of: skamol https://www.skamol.com/applications/fireplaces-heating-system-manufacturing-hvac
Please reference fireplace specifications and all local building codes when installing Prima Stone tile panels on fireplace facing. Failure to install Prima Stone on the face of a gas or wood fireplace following fireplace and/or local building code specifications will void product warranty.
4. Apply sealant to stone. Sealant will ensure a barrier from water, oil etc. and should be reapplied annually depending on use. Please note, marble travertine and onyx are natural and therefore porous and can stain even with sealant applied.
6. Create a template and cut stone according to template.
7. Set up sawhorse table and place stone face up on table to prepare for cutting. Please support centre of the stone while laying flat on table.
8. Wet stone slightly with spray bottle prior to cutting. This helps with chipping and will keep blade cool.
9. Cut stone according to template.
10. Dry fit stone prior to applying adhesive. Note any deficiencies that may require additional cutting and do so using grinder with diamond blade.
11. Ensure the mounting surface is free of dirt film, waxes or any other residue.
12. Wipe the backer with alcohol or acetone to ensure a clean surface and allow for bonding. When using ARDEX General recommendations slightly roughing back of panels with sand paper will produce the best bond.
13. Apply adhesive in a “s” pattern every 3 inches. Leave a 2-3 inch perimeter without adhesive on mitred edges to allow shimming of panels if required. On butt joined edges adhesive should start 1 inch from perimeter. For application of using thinset, please see ADEX General Recommendations.
14. Ensure that when Prima Stone is joined on vertical application there is a minimum 1/16" space required between panels. It is beneficial to use 1/6” spacer or leveling clips. This will allow for a 1/16” expansion joint which can be filled with grout colour matched to stone. This will help avoid lippage due to variances in substrate and slight variances in thickness of panels. Please allow for polishing of joined panels as required. Spacing allowances for flooring applications per TTMAC guidelines.
15. For Prima Stone flooring installation please follow ARDEX General Recommendations.
16. Panels that are joined vertically or horizontally may require additional polishing at joints to allow for inconsistencies in stone and substrate.
17. Apply Prima Stone to the substrate using your hands or suction cups. Suctions cups may cause imprint on stone depending on the variety of stone and the suction cups used. Please be sure to test the stone prior to using suction cups.
18. Because Prima Stone is a flexible material it is important that installers brace the panel with 2"x4"'s + extension polls during the curing period of the material.
Prima Stone requires a MINIMUM of 1 extension poll per 2.5 square feet of material. (6 polls per 5x8 panel) Additional polls required at installers discretion for panels that have been cut up or mitred. This should also be used, if required in floor installations.
Allow adhesive or thin set to cure a minimum of (12-24hrs) prior to removing extension pole supports.
If material has bowed due to exposure to heat or cold temperatures, please contact Prima Stone, prior to installation.
See diagram - PRIMA STONE - MINIMUM EXTENSION POLL USE
19. For vertical installations that are stacked (ie diamond book-match) please allow the base panels to cure at least 12 hours prior to installing the panel above. To avoid slippage, you may choose to install and cure top panels prior to those at lower levels.
20. Clean finished installation with acetone once installation is complete.
21. Joints can be filled with epoxy, unsanded grout or epoxy grout. Care is required when applying grout to ensure that it does not scratch or stain the stone.
21. For mitre cuts if you are experiencing chipping of natural stone, this may be due to natural weaknesses in the stone. Please use painters tape during cutting of mitres if you experience this and ensure you are using water when this occurs. Please test painters tape on stone to ensure that it does not remove finish. It is also typically most effective to allow the adhesive on panel 1 to cure for a few hours before trying to attach mitre, due to bowing of panels.
INSTALLATION OVER 10FT HEIGHT.
1. For installation over 10 ft. height, we recommend that material be mechanically fastened with screws or mirror/glass clips, in addition to the above glue methodology. Panels at this height should be adhered overtop of plywood.
2. Screws or glass clips, should be rated for the weight of the panel (3lbs per SF) and be used at 16"-18" intervals around the perimeter of the panel. Screw holes can be filled with colour match epoxy and stone and polished. Due to the weight of the panel, large screws are not required and at this height screw holes will not be noticed. Glass clips can be staggered for multiple panel install reducing the joint size. Joints should still be grouted. An example of glass/mirror clip is as follows:
3. Extension poll /bracing use can be reduced to 2-3 polls in the centre of the installation.
1. Cut Prima Stone Tile panel to length before cutting mitre to avoid chipping stone.
2. Set up sawhorse table and place stone on face up to prepare for cutting stone.
3. Set up the track with saw at 46 degrees. Slowly mitre the edge of the panel.
4. Mitre the matching panel to 46 degrees.
5. Install one panel, apply colour tinted epoxy in the mitre joint and install the other panel. Apply tape or use mitring clamps to tighten and cure the mitre joint. Once the epoxy is cured the joint can be carefully sanded.
6. For best results Prima Stone recommends that mitre joints be joined on site, due to flexibility of Prima Stone. Mitre cuts can be completed in fabrication facility, if desired, and joined on site.
If you have any questions please contact us at 1-800- 936-0702.